Richie-Roo!

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Sylvia :)

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

3-Hour Glucose Test

So I failed. Kind-of.

Here's the story: I stopped eating the night before around 6:30 pm. (Davanni's - YUM) So, I get to the Dr.'s office bright and early (8 am) and in good spirits for the start of my 3-hour blood draw fun. I get my first blood draw and it hurts. (But it was not done by the DOL, so I was still doing a-ok). Fasting blood sugar was 72 - which is perfect!

Then, I get the sugary drink. I chose lemon-lime, only because I had orange last time. And it was pretty gross for 8 in the morning. But I survived. For about 10 minutes. I had gone into the waiting room to read my book for the hour. About 10 minutes into it, my stomach decided it had had enough! The saliva overflowing and the stomach clenching let me know that I should probably make my way to the bathroom so that the feeling could pass, but in a safety zone. It didn't pass. It came up. Ewwww.

I let the lab know that I had thrown up (at this point, it had only been 13 mintues). She felt bad for me and said that if you throw up, you're done with the test and that they typically decide to just treat you like you have gestational diabetes. So, I had to wait and talk to the nurse. While I was waiting, I could hear them talking about my numbers - the fasting glucose and the 1-hour results and that I was so close. I didn't hear more because, of course, I had to go puke again.
Then, I met with the nurse. She said that she was going to talk to my Dr. the next day (today) to see what she wants to do. I have my prescription for the glucose monitor and test strips, but I'm supposed to just hold on to them for now. Because I might have to come in and do more testing or I might just be considered gestational diabetic.

AND, I felt like total crap for the rest of the day. Me and the glucose drink do not mix well.

So now, we wait. The only good thing - I only had to get one blood draw!

No comments: